Formal Letter to introduce myself (Draft 2)

Dear Professor Brad,

I am writing this to introduce myself. My name is Kelvin and I studied mechanical engineering at Ngee Ann Polytechnic before coming to Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) to further my studies in mechanical engineering. What sparked my interest in continuing to study engineering was because of what my friend did in national service. During one of our duties, the springs in one of the remote controls of the air conditioner fell off. My friend was able to apply his engineering knowledge and fix it by using staple bullets as a replacement for the springs instead. This enabled us to use the controller, fascinating, isn't it?

Back to myself, one of the strengths I have in communication is the fact that I am very straightforward. I tend to get straight to the point instead of beating around the bush. For example in National Service(NS), one of my friend was always blaming the IPPT machine for not counting his push-ups. Instead of blaming the machine with him, I critiqued that it's not the machine's fault as he had improper form. By working out with him, I was able to help improve his form and eventually he was even able to achieve silver. My weakness in communication skills would be that I am very nervous while giving a speech or presentation. I tend to fidget a lot while presenting as it is one of the ways that calms my nerves, which to me is a really bad habit that I hope to get rid of. 

By the end of this module, I hope to be able to speak and present confidently in front of people. I think that having the ability to communicate and speak confidently is one of the skillsets which will help me greatly down the road in my career. Not only that, I also hope to improve my grammar and writing skills. Being able to write an email professionally without making grammar errors is one skill one must have in the industry. 

What differentiates me from the rest is that I am constantly trying to improve myself. Even though I might be a slow learner compared to others, I continue to work hard and not lose heart in order to keep up with others. I look forward to a fruitful trimester in honing my language and communication skills with you and my peers.

Yours sincerely,

Kelvin

Comments

Popular Posts